Definition of doctrinaire in English:
Seeking to impose a doctrine in all circumstances without regard to practical considerations: a doctrinaire conservative
More example sentences
- They are not concerned with complicated doctrinaire considerations, but with a sure instinct are demanding fundamental solutions.
- Jones was often mistaken for a socialist, although the doctrinaire socialists derided him for his belief in Christian brotherhood and opposition to class warfare.
- At this point we must consider a doctrinaire objection.
nounBack to top
A person who seeks to impose a doctrine without regard to practical considerations.
- His biographer has rightly called him a ‘southern nationalist’ and the ‘last of the doctrinaires of the Old South.’
- First I stopped believing my teachers, then - all manner of ideologists and doctrinaires.
- Perception requires only that one exercise the will to perceive, and it's a tool as available to the doctrinaire, the ignorant, and the gullible as it is to the skeptical and concerned.
- Example sentences
- His ‘rigidity,’ ‘dogmatism,’ and ‘carping doctrinairism’ have been repeatedly attacked.
- Rationalism and doctrinairism are the diseases of our time; they pretend to have all the answers.
- This unyielding doctrinairism necessarily brought about the decline of liberalism.
Words that rhyme with doctrinaireaffair, affaire, air, Altair, Althusser, Anvers, Apollinaire, Astaire, aware, Ayer, Ayr, bare, bear, bêche-de-mer, beware, billionaire, Blair, blare, Bonaire, cafetière, care, chair, chargé d'affaires, chemin de fer, Cher, Clair, Claire, Clare, commissionaire, compare, concessionaire, cordon sanitaire, couvert, Daguerre, dare, debonair, declare, derrière, despair, éclair, e'er, elsewhere, ensnare, ere, extraordinaire, Eyre, fair, fare, fayre, Finisterre, flair, flare, Folies-Bergère, forbear, forswear, foursquare, glair, glare, hair, hare, heir, Herr, impair, jardinière, Khmer, Kildare, La Bruyère, lair, laissez-faire, legionnaire, luminaire, mal de mer, mare, mayor, meunière, mid-air, millionaire, misère, Mon-Khmer, multimillionaire, ne'er, Niger, nom de guerre, outstare, outwear, pair, pare, parterre, pear, père, pied-à-terre, Pierre, plein-air, prayer, questionnaire, rare, ready-to-wear, rivière, Rosslare, Santander, savoir faire, scare, secretaire, share, snare, solitaire, Soufrière, spare, square, stair, stare, surface-to-air, swear, Tailleferre, tare, tear, their, there, they're, vin ordinaire, Voltaire, ware, wear, Weston-super-Mare, where, yeah
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan