Tremble or totter, typically because of old age: spent and nerve-weary, I doddered into the foyer of a third-rate hotel (as adjective doddering) that doddering old fool
More example sentences
- The Levi's name has grown into doddering old age in a brutally competitive apparel market.
- They come on Uncle Junior's recommendation, but they prove to be doddering old fools with bad or no eyesight.
- He is famous for doddering around with a camera crew in tow, picking up strange slithery beasts that look like they might bite him and poking sticks at them.
- Example sentences
- Often dismissed as wrinklies and fogeys, dodderers and ditherers, it turns out that the company's target audience are, in fact, among the biggest consumers in the country.
- A government member labelled the retired military chiefs & diplomats as old dodderers.
- I have yet to discover that having been born when Cal Coolidge was gearing up to run for re-election confers any eminence upon this dodderer.
- Example sentences
- It was regarded as a family firm - a bit slow and doddery but a caring and kind place to work.
- The difference is that now they have weak-kneed, wobbly, doddery leadership and they are falling over.
- He's a bit slower physically but he's not doddery, so I decided not to go that way with Cecil.
Early 17th century: variant of obsolete dialect dadder; related to dither.
Words that rhyme with dodderfodder, plodder, prodder
A widely distributed parasitic climbing plant of the morning glory family, with leafless threadlike stems that are attached to the host plant by means of suckers.
- Genus Cuscuta, family Convolvulaceae
- Eventually a mat of stems forms around the host plant and the dodder loses contact with the soil.
- By tying suitable stem explants of dodder to touch the host, Kelly observed that 60% of individuals rejected suitable hosts within several hours.
- Because C. arvensis is more closely related to the dodders than is tobacco, C. arvensis was also used as a control.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.