Definition of dog violet in English:
A scentless wild violet, typically having purple or lilac flowers.
- Genus Viola, family Violaceae: several species, in particular V. conspersa of eastern North America
- In the drier parts of the reserve, where common dog violets grow beneath bracken, the microclimate is ideal for the caterpillars of small, pearl-bordered fritillary.
- Spring flowers to notice include primrose and cowslips in hedgerows, bluebells, snowdrops and dog violets in woodlands and lady's smock and marsh marigold in wetland areas.
- Flowers such as wild thyme, dog violets and rest harrows grow in grassy areas on sand dunes, whilst yellow horned poppy and sea pea grow on the vegetated areas of shingle.
Definition of dog violet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.