Definition of dogfight in English:
1A close combat between military aircraft.
- In time, they battled over trenches in World War I, engaged in dogfights with other aircraft, attacked ground troops and disrupted enemy activity near the front lines.
- The Americans lost only twenty-two fighter aircraft in dogfights or to flak over Guam; nine more planes were lost operationally or on search missions.
- Battle of Britain is a wonderful film if what you principally want to see are lots of vintage World War II aircraft engaged in aerial dogfights.
1.1A ferocious struggle for supremacy between interested parties: the meeting deteriorated into a dogfight
More example sentences
- At such an early stage of the season, this was never going to be exactly a relegation dogfight - but it was certainly competed with the ferocity of one.
- Recent good work by the team looked light years away and they have now got themselves embroiled in a dogfight that they might struggle to win.
- With his claiming more MP supporters than all his four rivals combined, he is assured a place in the final, two-person dogfight - where a winner is chosen by a vote of the 300,000 party members.
1.2A fight between dogs, especially one organized illegally for public entertainment.
- Owning a fighting dog and watching a dogfight are also illegal in almost all states.
- A sequence of photos depicting an organised dogfight is gruesome and disgustingly effective, dog's scarred faces contrasting with the pixelised faces of their censored owners.
- Presumably, the triads are too busy organising dogfights where a winning pooch can scamper off with a $HK1,000,000 purse.
verbBack to top
Engage in a dogfight: [no object]: resplendent model airplanes dogfighting in the updrafts
More example sentences
- The company could have made this a perfect bargain bin pickup if for nothing else but the opportunity to dogfight the online skies.
- The pilot that he had just dogfighted with would have taken the first shot that he was presented with.
- Martha and Smoke made it to the top where they dogfighted it out to see who would be king of that hill.
- Example sentences
- The F-16 was designed to be the world's best dogfighter, able to achieve extremely high kill ratios either with its Sidewinder missiles or with its guns.
- They made their search strategic, like experienced dogfighters; swerving around one another to avoid any other possible attacks that so took their over-eager friends.
- The choppers were poor speed-combatants, but they were deadly dogfighters.
Definition of dogfight in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan