Definition of dogfight in English:
1A close combat between military aircraft.
- In time, they battled over trenches in World War I, engaged in dogfights with other aircraft, attacked ground troops and disrupted enemy activity near the front lines.
- The Americans lost only twenty-two fighter aircraft in dogfights or to flak over Guam; nine more planes were lost operationally or on search missions.
- Battle of Britain is a wonderful film if what you principally want to see are lots of vintage World War II aircraft engaged in aerial dogfights.
1.1A ferocious struggle for supremacy between interested parties: the meeting deteriorated into a dogfight
More example sentences
- At such an early stage of the season, this was never going to be exactly a relegation dogfight - but it was certainly competed with the ferocity of one.
- Recent good work by the team looked light years away and they have now got themselves embroiled in a dogfight that they might struggle to win.
- With his claiming more MP supporters than all his four rivals combined, he is assured a place in the final, two-person dogfight - where a winner is chosen by a vote of the 300,000 party members.
1.2A fight between dogs, especially one organized illegally for public entertainment.
- Owning a fighting dog and watching a dogfight are also illegal in almost all states.
- A sequence of photos depicting an organised dogfight is gruesome and disgustingly effective, dog's scarred faces contrasting with the pixelised faces of their censored owners.
- Presumably, the triads are too busy organising dogfights where a winning pooch can scamper off with a $HK1,000,000 purse.
verbBack to top
Engage in a dogfight: [no object]: resplendent model airplanes dogfighting in the updrafts
More example sentences
- The company could have made this a perfect bargain bin pickup if for nothing else but the opportunity to dogfight the online skies.
- The pilot that he had just dogfighted with would have taken the first shot that he was presented with.
- Martha and Smoke made it to the top where they dogfighted it out to see who would be king of that hill.
- Example sentences
- The F-16 was designed to be the world's best dogfighter, able to achieve extremely high kill ratios either with its Sidewinder missiles or with its guns.
- They made their search strategic, like experienced dogfighters; swerving around one another to avoid any other possible attacks that so took their over-eager friends.
- The choppers were poor speed-combatants, but they were deadly dogfighters.
Definition of dogfight in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.