1A shrub or small tree of north temperate regions that yields hard timber and is grown for its decorative foliage, red stems, and colorful berries.
- Genus Cornus, family Cornaceae: many species, including the flowering dogwood (C. florida), common to the eastern US
More example sentences
- If you are growing your willows and dogwoods for their colourful winter stems, cut them hard back now.
- Annual climbers such as sweet peas can be supported by a wigwam made from bamboo or by twiggy prunings taken from coloured stemmed dogwoods and other shrubs cut back in March.
- This dogwood is grown for both its foliage and coloured stems and because of this, doesn't necessarily have to be cut back as hard as species grown simply for their winter stems.
so named because the wood was formerly used to make “dogs” (i.e., skewers).
Definition of dogwood in:
- The British & World English dictionary