Definition of dolomite in English:
1A translucent mineral consisting of a carbonate of calcium and magnesium.
- Vein minerals are aragonite, barite, calcite, dolomite, quartz, sphalerite, and whewellite.
- Vein minerals are ferroan dolomite, barite, calcite, pyrite, and quartz.
- Red chalcedony-lined geodes were prevalent at one time, their inclusions typically being quartz, calcite, ferroan dolomite, and iron sulfide microcrystals.
1.1A sedimentary rock formed chiefly of dolomite.
- In the Mesozoic, and into the Paleocene, limestone and dolomite interbedded with shale, clay and anhydrite prevailed in a more restricted, shallow marine to lagoonal environment.
- The host rocks for these deposits include limestone and dolomite that have undergone dissolution by low-temperature fluids, either before or during the mineralizing event.
- Polyphase deformation accompanied metamorphism of the original sediments, that were probably dolomite, shales and siltstones.
- Example sentences
- The Barton Creek dolomite is in fact a dolomitic limestone, strongly recrystallized.
- If considered irrespective of depth, limestones and dolomitic limestones are more porous than dolostones, whereas at burial depths of greater than 2000 m dolostones are significantly more porous and permeable than limestones.
- The cavity was in relatively dense dolomitic limestone, suggesting that recovery of undamaged specimens could present a problem.
Words that rhyme with dolomitestalagmite • Elamite
Definition of dolomite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.