- 1A small gregarious toothed whale that typically has a beaklike snout and a curved fin on the back. Dolphins have become well known for their sociable nature and high intelligence.
More example sentences
- Families Delphinidae (marine) and Platanistidae (the river dolphins): several genera and many species
- No captures of Atlantic bottlenose dolphins have occurred in the US since 1989.
- And captive bottlenose dolphins have shown themselves to be skilled at replicating computer-generated sounds.
- We passed numerous sting rays gliding along, then a large school of spinner dolphins leaping across our bow.
- 2 (also dolphinfish) another term for mahimahi.
late Middle English: from Old French dauphin, from Provençal dalfin, from Latin delphinus, from Greek delphin.