Definition of domineer in English:
verb[no object] (usually as adjective domineering)
Assert one’s will over another in an arrogant way: Cathy had been a martyr to her gruff, domineering husband
More example sentences
- He was commanding, domineering, sardonic and intimidating.
- My husband wasn't in the least bit domineering but he was a strong man so there was no need for me to worry about bill-paying or problems.
- The tiger again looked so powerful, so domineering, and so strong.
browbeat, bully, intimidate, push around/about, order about/around, lord it over;
dictate to, be overbearing, have under one's thumb, rule with a rod of iron
informal boss about/around, walk all over
- Example sentences
- I smiled domineeringly at him.
- Every single instrument fed through the sound desk takes its turn at being either domineeringly loud or practically inaudible.
- I clapped my hands domineeringly together as I hopped out of the booth.
Words that rhyme with domineeradhere, Agadir, Anglosphere, appear, arrear, auctioneer, austere, balladeer, bandolier, Bashkir, beer, besmear, bier, blear, bombardier, brigadier, buccaneer, cameleer, career, cashier, cavalier, chandelier, charioteer, cheer, chevalier, chiffonier, clavier, clear, Coetzee, cohere, commandeer, conventioneer, Cordelier, corsetière, Crimea, dear, deer, diarrhoea (US diarrhea), Dorothea, drear, ear, electioneer, emir, endear, engineer, fear, fleer, Freer, fusilier, gadgeteer, Galatea, gazetteer, gear, gondolier, gonorrhoea (US gonorrhea), Greer, grenadier, hand-rear, hear, here, Hosea, idea, interfere, Izmir, jeer, Judaea, Kashmir, Keir, kir, Korea, Lear, leer, Maria, marketeer, Medea, Meir, Melilla, mere, Mia, Mir, mishear, mountaineer, muleteer, musketeer, mutineer, near, orienteer, pamphleteer, panacea, paneer, peer, persevere, pier, Pierre, pioneer, pistoleer, privateer, profiteer, puppeteer, racketeer, ratafia, rear, revere, rhea, rocketeer, Sapir, scrutineer, sear, seer, sere, severe, Shamir, shear, sheer, sincere, smear, sneer, sonneteer, souvenir, spear, sphere, steer, stere, summiteer, Tangier, tear, tier, Trier, Tyr, veer, veneer, Vere, Vermeer, vizier, volunteer, Wear, weir, we're, year, Zaïre
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan