- past participle of do1.
verbUS • informal Back to top
- 1Used as a nonstandard past tense of do1: I done a lot of rodeoin'
adjectiveBack to top
- 1(Of food) cooked thoroughly: the turkey will be done soonMore example sentences
cooked (through), ready
- Drain each batch as it is done and eat whilst cooking the next batch.
- Curl up in front of the TV with your own bowl of this much-loved comfort food favourite, done my way.
- If food is not done when you take it out of the oven you can always return it to the oven for additional time.
- 2 • informal Socially acceptable: therapy was not the done thing thenMore example sentences
- It is not the done thing to listen to music through headphones.
- He has worked in the media for more than twenty years, and he knows, or should know, the way the world is now and what is not the done thing.
- He's assured me that it's not the done thing to drink at lunchtime these days, but I'm not so sure.
exclamationBack to top
a done deal
- An agreement that has been finalized.More example sentences
- We are assuming it's a done deal, in the way they're talking and presenting their plans.
- Even now, when the cat is out of the bag, they still want to brush aside reasoned argument and hide the project from public scrutiny until it's a done deal.
- Also we were told that it was a done deal, although it was only a plan at that stage and consultation was to take place.
- • informal In a situation so bad that it is impossible to get out: if he gets them, we’ll all be done forMore example sentences
- At the end of the fifth book about the schoolboy spy, we thought our young hero was done for.
- We thought it was done for but then after much jumping up and down and sand throwing we unbeached it.
over and done with
- see over.