1A fixed or heavy object that keeps a door open or stops it from banging against a wall.
- The space was breathtaking, but the echo of the door slamming into the doorstop was deafening in the silence.
- I'm tired of using a doorstop to keep it propped open.
- Often people like to keep souvenirs such as this and it is not uncommon for them to be used as doorstops or points of interest in the home.
1.1A heavy or bulky object (used especially in reference to a thick book): his sixth novel is a thumping 400-page doorstop
More example sentences
- Both books are doorstoppers, and that's been a new trend in recent years.
- The girl with the unicorn horn and the glasses was sitting up in bed, reading a doorstopper of a book.
- This doorstop of a book chronicles how - through invasions, revolutions and coups - the arts have flourished in the city and details its entente cordiale between art and politics from the Gothic to de Gaulle.
Definition of doorstop in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.