Definition of dorsoventral in English:
adjectiveAnatomy & Biology
1Extending along or denoting an axis joining the dorsal and ventral surfaces.
- The nuclei are desynchronized along the dorsoventral axis with chromosome bridges.
- Contraction of dorsoventral muscles diminishes the space between dorsal and ventral cuticular trunk plates, increases the pressure in the small but liquid-filled body cavity, and last but not least protrudes the head.
- In galloping, the epaxial and hypaxial muscles function to produce dorsoventral bending of the vertebral column, and muscles fire bilaterally and uniphasically.
- Example sentences
- He presented an organism with dorsoventrally compressed oval body.
- It is slightly twisted longitudinally, much thicker, and less flattened dorsoventrally than the other carpals.
- The distal end is dorsoventrally flattened with a mildly convex and faintly bilobed articulation surface.
Definition of dorsoventral in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia