Definition of dotterel in English:
noun (plural same or dotterels)
A small plover with a brown streaked back and a chestnut or buff belly with black below. Dotterels breed in mountainous areas and in the tundra.
- Genus Eudromias, family Charadriidae: two species, especially the Eurasian E. morinellus, which is noted for its tameness
- The report highlights the plight of 20 species, including the song thrush, the corncrake, the crossbill, the capercaillie, the dotterel and black grouse.
- Overgrazing on upland pastures is causing the decline of native species including skylarks, curlews and dotterels.
- On the other hand, species like the dotterel and snow bunting look set to head northwards, leaving British shores for colder climes.
Words that rhyme with dotterelrostral
Definition of dotterel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan