noun (plural same or dotterels)
A small plover with a brown streaked back and a chestnut or buff belly with black below. Dotterels breed in mountainous areas and in the tundra.
- Genus Eudromias, family Charadriidae: two species, especially the Eurasian E. morinellus, which is noted for its tameness
More example sentences
- The report highlights the plight of 20 species, including the song thrush, the corncrake, the crossbill, the capercaillie, the dotterel and black grouse.
- Overgrazing on upland pastures is causing the decline of native species including skylarks, curlews and dotterels.
- On the other hand, species like the dotterel and snow bunting look set to head northwards, leaving British shores for colder climes.
Definition of dotterel in:
- The British & World English dictionary