Definition of dovekie in English:
nounchiefly North American
A small, stubby short-billed auk (seabird) with black plumage and white underparts, breeding in the Arctic.
- Alle alle, family Alcidae
- One would imagine this place to be a paradise of alcids of all types, guillemots, dovekies, puffins, razorbills, murres, and murrelets all splashing around in their black and white finery.
- The current study identified a close relationship between the great auk and the dovekie.
- A patchy distribution of crustaceans (including T. libellula) in the NOW was indicated in a study of the diet of dovekies.
Definition of dovekie in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan