nounchiefly North American
A small, stubby short-billed auk (seabird) with black plumage and white underparts, breeding in the Arctic.
- Alle alle, family Alcidae
More example sentences
- One would imagine this place to be a paradise of alcids of all types, guillemots, dovekies, puffins, razorbills, murres, and murrelets all splashing around in their black and white finery.
- The current study identified a close relationship between the great auk and the dovekie.
- A patchy distribution of crustaceans (including T. libellula) in the NOW was indicated in a study of the diet of dovekies.
Definition of dovekie in:
- The British & World English dictionary