Definition of dovekie in English:
nounchiefly North American
A small, stubby short-billed auk (seabird) with black plumage and white underparts, breeding in the Arctic.
- Alle alle, family Alcidae
- One would imagine this place to be a paradise of alcids of all types, guillemots, dovekies, puffins, razorbills, murres, and murrelets all splashing around in their black and white finery.
- The current study identified a close relationship between the great auk and the dovekie.
- A patchy distribution of crustaceans (including T. libellula) in the NOW was indicated in a study of the diet of dovekies.
Definition of dovekie in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.