Definition of dowitcher in English:
A wading bird of the sandpiper family, with a long straight bill, breeding in arctic and subarctic North America and eastern Asia.
- Genus Limnodromus, family Scolopacidae: three species, in particular the short-billed dowitcher (L. griseus) and the long-billed dowitcher (L. scolopaceus)
- Currently, visitors to the flats are likely to see sandpipers, avocets, oystercatchers, godwits, dowitchers, plovers and other shorebirds on their way south.
- Common species of shorebirds, such as yellowlegs, dowitchers, black-bellied plovers and ‘peep,’ are often joined by pectoral, stilt and solitary sandpipers.
- Often described as looking like a yellowlegs and feeding like a dowitcher, the Stilt Sandpiper is a medium-sized, long-legged wader.
Mid 19th century: from Iroquoian.
Definition of dowitcher in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan