Definition of dowitcher in English:
A wading bird of the sandpiper family, with a long straight bill, breeding in arctic and subarctic North America and eastern Asia.
- Genus Limnodromus, family Scolopacidae: three species, in particular the short-billed dowitcher (L. griseus) and the long-billed dowitcher (L. scolopaceus)
- Currently, visitors to the flats are likely to see sandpipers, avocets, oystercatchers, godwits, dowitchers, plovers and other shorebirds on their way south.
- Common species of shorebirds, such as yellowlegs, dowitchers, black-bellied plovers and ‘peep,’ are often joined by pectoral, stilt and solitary sandpipers.
- Often described as looking like a yellowlegs and feeding like a dowitcher, the Stilt Sandpiper is a medium-sized, long-legged wader.
mid 19th century: from Iroquoian.
Definition of dowitcher in:
- British & World English dictionary