Pessimistic; gloomy: the assessment of current economic prospects is downbeat
More example sentences
- Barely a negative vibe will be emitted from any of the bidding nations, nor a single quote uttered which might seem remotely downbeat or pessimistic.
- For this reason, people often view him as pessimistic and downbeat.
- This survey of the EU's institutions, like the new institutionalist literature itself, might seem to paint a generally sombre, downbeat, pessimistic picture of modern political life.
An accented beat, usually the first of the bar.
- The song has three stanzas of six lines, carrying four stresses downbeats separated by upbeats.
- For this pianist rushing and slowing down in the cantabile sections while drawing attention to the downbeats over the barlines is a measure of profound expression.
- Stopping before a bar line inhibits the central nervous system of the student who could otherwise tend to take over and encourage rushing over bar lines into downbeats.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.