- Pessimistic; gloomy: the assessment of current economic prospects is downbeatMore example sentences
- Barely a negative vibe will be emitted from any of the bidding nations, nor a single quote uttered which might seem remotely downbeat or pessimistic.
- For this reason, people often view him as pessimistic and downbeat.
- This survey of the EU's institutions, like the new institutionalist literature itself, might seem to paint a generally sombre, downbeat, pessimistic picture of modern political life.
nounMusic Back to top
- An accented beat, usually the first of the bar.More example sentences
- The song has three stanzas of six lines, carrying four stresses downbeats separated by upbeats.
- For this pianist rushing and slowing down in the cantabile sections while drawing attention to the downbeats over the barlines is a measure of profound expression.
- Stopping before a bar line inhibits the central nervous system of the student who could otherwise tend to take over and encourage rushing over bar lines into downbeats.