Definition of downgrade in English:
verb[with object] (usually be downgraded)
Reduce to a lower grade, rank, or level of importance: some jobs had gradually been downgraded from skilled to semiskilled
More example sentences
- By upgrading the importance of other factors he downgraded the importance of economic growth in the development process.
- Evacuees were not paying council tax and some bandings had been downgraded, reducing the amount of rates collected.
- However, under this legislation we have downgraded safety to the same level as sustainability.
nounBack to top
1An instance of reducing someone or something’s rank, status, or level of importance.
- A later rating by rival Moody's Investors Service kept Ford's debt rating at investment-grade status, the S&P downgrades shocked the corporate bond market.
- The code of conduct threatens penalties ranging from administrative sanctions and temporary suspension of duty, to rank downgrades and dismissal.
- With no suitable alternative location being offered by the Council the removal of the taxi rank is a downgrade in the taxi service of Ballina.
2North American A downward gradient, typically on a railroad track or road.
- This was the original Montreal-Toronto mainline (legally the Ontario & Quebec Railway) and a roller coaster of upgrades and downgrades.
- On steeper downgrades, a higher acceleration will be achievable through the assistance of gravity.
- Soon after they resumed, the road crested a hill and began switching back and forth sharply, for the downgrade was very steep.
on the downgrade
- North American In decline: profits are on the downgradeMore example sentences
- Another good bet to pick out now is Moscow Flyer in the Queen Mother - he has always convinced as a class act and also because most of his opponents are old stars on the downgrade.
- Optus's parent Singtel fell three per cent on the downgrade news and Telstra was down half a per cent or two cents to $4.46.
- Placed twice in this in the past but tailed off last year and looks on the downgrade nowadays.
Words that rhyme with downgradeabrade, afraid, aid, aide, ambuscade, arcade, balustrade, barricade, Belgrade, blade, blockade, braid, brigade, brocade, cannonade, carronade, cascade, cavalcade, cockade, colonnade, crusade, dissuade, enfilade, esplanade, evade, fade, fusillade, glade, grade, grenade, grillade, handmade, harlequinade, homemade, invade, jade, lade, laid, lemonade, limeade, made, maid, man-made, marinade, masquerade, newlaid, orangeade, paid, palisade, parade, pasquinade, persuade, pervade, raid, serenade, shade, Sinéad, spade, staid, stockade, stock-in-trade, suede, tailor-made, they'd, tirade, trade, Ubaid, underpaid, undismayed, unplayed, unsprayed, unswayed, upbraid, upgrade, wade
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan