A light placed or designed so as to throw illumination downward.
- This type of lighting can be supplied by table or floor lamps, uplights, downlights, spotlights and hanging lights.
- At night, the building's silver aluminum soffit is lit with high-energy, high-efficiency uplights, and the lower-level walls are lit by wall-wash downlights recessed around the perimeter.
- Have one wall completely covered with a sheet of mirror (check the size first to make sure you can get it into the flat), then use ceiling recessed downlighters to cast light down the mirror.
- Example sentences
- The Kendal students offered a fixed bridge with a modern twist, including downlighting under the bridge, vandal-proof towpath bins and benches, and a decrease in gradient of Parkside Road.
- He takes me to the kitchen - expanses of terracotta tiles, downlighting, new designer units, and a resplendent cream four-oven Aga.
- Are they more the type you find hanging out around your polished granite benchtop with halogen downlighting perhaps?
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of downlight in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.