Moving to a lower social class; losing wealth and status.
- Downwardly mobile people like myself, or college students fresh off the parental dole, often get themselves in trouble for a couple reasons.
- In another case, racism is articulated by downwardly mobile groups targeting nearby others.
- I'm happy enough to be the black sheep of the team, just like I'm the most downwardly mobile member of my family.
downward mobility noun
- Example sentences
- What I've learned in my search for downward mobility is that my experience has labeled and packaged me as a certain type of product and that I cannot transform myself into a new, ‘lesser’ product.
- But how much has this contributed to downward mobility and increasing stress?
- What those records show compared to yesteryear rock is emotional downward mobility.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: down·ward·ly mo·bile
Definition of downwardly mobile in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.