Definition of downwarp in English:
A broad depression of the earth’s surface.
- For several generations of geologists the name of J. D. Dana was associated with the concept of the geosyncline, an elongated downwarp in the Earth's crust in which a great volume of sediments accumulated.
- The WIlkes Front architecture consists of thin, extended crust forming the Victoria Land Basin in the Ross Sea, the TAM rift shoulder, and a long-wavelength downwarp forming the Wilkes Basin.
- Minor downwarp of reflectors over the edge of some concave-down features is noted, as in the case of the reflection associated with the base Tarrant Chalk Member.
verb[with object] Back to top
Displace (a rock formation) downward so as to form a depression.
- The palaeoplain was downwarped, creating the Great Divide and a new continental shelf on which marine sediments accumulated.
Definition of downwarp in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.