- A widespread small North American woodpecker with a short bill, black and white plumage, and (on the male) a red patch on the back of the head.
More example sentences
- Picoides pubescens, family Picidae
- It was a downy woodpecker, with the red patch on the back of its head.
- The birds will love it and if you're one of the few folks out there who have never experienced the awesome power of a downy woodpecker as it batters away at your forehead for hours upon hours at a time then you are in for a real treat!
- For giggles I set up the NovaBird Camera and got a shot of a downy woodpecker that decided to forgo the suet log and eat some peanuts and sunflower hearts from the seed feeder.