- The most respected or prominent person in a particular field: the doyen of Canadian poetryMore example sentences
- Madurai produced several doyens in different fields in the past and so it will in the years to come.
- This May will see the seventh edition of the music festival, once again bringing doyens of the field to the Capital.
- Then a doyen of the field turned up with a costume, wand and scent.
late 17th century: via French from Old French deien (see dean1).
More definitions of doyenDefinition of doyen in:
- The British & World English dictionary