- 1Sleep lightly: he found his mother dozing by the fireMore example sentences
- He had asked to be kept updated during the night as he dozed lightly in his room.
- Several police officers sat dozing, lightly interspersed amongst the scuffed and beaten seats.
- She was dozing lightly when there was a nock on her door, jolted from her sleep she went to the door and opened it a crack.
- 1.1 (doze off) Fall lightly asleep: I dozed off for a few secondsMore example sentences
- She knew the other two were tired, and let them sprawl on the couch, Mark fell asleep and even Isaac dozed off.
- She felt herself dozing off and was asleep in a few minutes.
- After a few minutes of dozing off, Rebecca falls into a deep sleep.
noun[in singular] Back to top
- A short light sleep.More example sentences
- I was in the middle of a light doze (for some reason, deeper sleep was escaping me) when I hear a scraping noise.
- Jon sighed, and leaned back as a light doze overtook him.… Seven years ago, when Dïen was eleven, she started to ask for a psychiatrist.
- Watching the boy toss, turn and slip in and out of a light doze, Laras wondered if he wasn't somehow picking up on his father's tension and frustration in some subtle way.
mid 17th century (in the sense 'stupefy, bewilder, or make drowsy'): perhaps related to Danish døse 'make drowsy'.