- 1 (plural same) A group or set of twelve: a dozen bottles of sherryMore example sentences
- Eventually the claims were whittled down to around a dozen which had some credibility.
- It's Friday evening and so there are a dozen of us trying to catch the barman's eye in the George.
- The base of the trunk is pushed just four feet into the ground and secured with a dozen or more wooden wedges.
- 1.1 (dozens) • informal A lot: she has dozens of admirersMore example sentences
- Scores dead, hundreds wounded, dozens of television networks scrambling to find an angle.
- Kodak decided to invest dozens of billions of US dollars globally last year to expand its business.
- The 80 pages and dozens of questions gave plenty of food for thought.
- 2 (the dozens) An exchange of insults engaged in as a game or ritual among black Americans.More example sentences
- The two loudly play the dozens, insulting each other to the delight of neighbors.
by the dozen
- In large quantities.More example sentences
- It's Vancouver, there are panhandlers by the dozen everywhere you look.
- Elsewhere, live shrimp are sold by the dozen or individually, but the quantities tend to be roughly the same by any standard of sale.
- But in bad years fires kill by the dozen and destroy houses by the thousand.
talk nineteen to the dozen
- British Talk incessantly.More example sentences
- She talks nineteen to the dozen, amusingly, self - deprecatingly, practically, irreverently.
- They were soon on board and talking nineteen to the dozen.
- More example sentences
- Once we'd finished up and I'd remarked for the dozenth time on the superb quality of the Victoria Sponge, we headed off on the second leg of our journey.
- ‘I shouldn't have asked ‘Tanj muttered to herself for the dozenth time…
- ‘That is not how you recruit help,’ he said to her, as though a parent repeating some instruction for the dozenth time.
Middle English: from Old French dozeine, based on Latin duodecim 'twelve'.
More definitions of dozenDefinition of dozen in:
- The British & World English dictionary