noun (plural drachmas or drachmae /-mē/)
- 1The basic monetary unit of Greece (until the introduction of the euro), notionally equal to 100 lepta.More example sentences
- Although we were told that the price of living here had become much more expensive since the euro replaced the drachma, it still seemed pretty cheap to us - especially eating out.
- The drachma disappeared, replaced by the euro when Greece joined the single European currency.
- The euro, which replaces the old francs, marks, guilders, pesetas, escudos, drachmas, and lire of the European Union, is not yet five years old.
More definitions of drachmaDefinition of drachma in:
- The British & World English dictionary