Definition of draftsman in English:
noun (plural draftsmen)
1A person who makes detailed technical plans or drawings.
- An extremely limited circle of people was involved in planning the operation (dispensing with draftsmen, typists and other technical personnel).
- I ran the plans past a draftsman friend, who added enough heavy-duty steel fixings to ensure that even if the house falls down in an earthquake, the veranda will still stand.
- In the civilian world, engineering technicians are known as draftsmen and surveyors.
1.1An artist skilled in drawing.
- His compositions reveal the hand of a skilled draftsman.
- The Daniells' paintings and engravings also inspired a group of Indian artists and draftsmen to produce their own depictions of important Indian monuments, largely for a Western audience.
- Whether still lifes or landscapes, the human figure or abstraction, the versatility of the medium has attracted some of today's most skilled draftsmen.
2A person who drafts legal documents.
- This is too complex a matter to be left in the clandestine care of legal draftsmen.
- He said there were two clear organisations - a supporters group and a political party - and while it may not have pleased a legal draftsman it was the way the party chose to establish itself.
- The loophole that led to the collapse of the ban had escaped the gaze of the legal draftsmen, the Attorney General and the Cabinet.
- Example sentences
- The issue is what kind of drawing merits praise at the beginning of the twenty-first century, what criteria a certain style of draftsmanship satisfies.
- But it's quality draftsmanship, and the lettering is superb.
- Soon Walt opened an on-site drawing school at his Hollywood studio to train novice animators in the art of draftsmanship and motion studies.
Words that rhyme with draftsmancraftsman, craftsmen, draftsmen, draughtsman, draughtsmen, raftsman, raftsmen
Definition of draftsman in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.