Definition of drawing room in English:
1A room in a large private house in which guests can be received and entertained.
- This was once a state bedroom for visiting dignitaries but is now an elegant drawing room for entertaining important guests.
- There are three bedrooms, a drawing room, a dining room, a kitchen and a bathroom.
- As well as four bedrooms, the house has a drawing room, dining room, kitchen and a study.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
1Consciously refined, lighthearted, and elegant: drawing-room small talk
More example sentences
- In need of more lucrative work, Churchward then sailed for South Africa, where his art and his elegant drawing-room manner soon won him the favour of Cecil Rhodes, who made him the gift of a rare pink diamond.
- Spectators were led first into the drawing-room elegance of Suite Saint-Saens by Gerald Arpino.
- He was, it is said, the midwife to the birth of the new, tough and usually politically engaged theatre that overthrew the claustrophobic, suburban drawing-room style of the post-war London stage.
1.1(Of a song or play) characterized by a polite observance of social proprieties: a stock figure of Thirties drawing-room comedy
More example sentences
- Until Synge wrote Playboy, Irish theatre had been made up entirely of rather dull drawing-room dramas.
- Accusations of vicarage film-making are easy gibes to fling at Dame Agatha's drawing-room dramas, especially when the set designers and wardrobe people do such a good job at recreating the period.
- Laurence Olivier, John Gielgud and Peggy Ashcroft were still in the ascendant and the West End was dominated by drawing-room comedies, lightweight whodunnits, American musicals and classic revivals.
mid 17th century (denoting a private room attached to a more public one): abbreviation of 16th-century withdrawing-room 'a room to withdraw to'.
Definition of drawing room in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan