- 1 [often as submodifier] Extremely: you’re dreadfully thin I’m dreadfully sorry!More example sentences
extremely, very, really, exceedingly, tremendously, exceptionally, extraordinarily; decidedly, most, particularly• informal terrifically, terribly, desperately, awfully, devilishly, mega, seriously, majorly, ever so, real, mighty, awful• informal, • dated frightfullylots, a lot, a great deal, intensely, desperately
- I am really, truly, extremely, dreadfully, horribly sorry!
- His behaviour was terrible and I am dreadfully sorry that you were exposed to it.
- I feel dreadfully sorry for her and I know Michael will be really upset about it.
- 1.1Very much: I’ll miss you dreadfullyMore example sentences
- Suddenly I thought that was unusual, because I realised that every time I've gone to the movies the past couple of months, I've missed her dreadfully as I'm going up into the car park.
- We are all very proud of Dan and his achievements in his short but very full life. We all miss him dreadfully.
- I love my job, relish the operational role and will no doubt miss it dreadfully.
- 2Very badly: the company has performed dreadfullyMore example sentences
- But isn't it refreshing to be able to tell you about two clubs with a good news story - even though both are performing somewhere between disappointingly and dreadfully on the field?
- It can be difficult when you miss your child all day to find they behave dreadfully when they get home.