Definition of dreidel in English:
1A small four-sided spinning top with a Hebrew letter on each side, used by the Jews.
- Schools planning ‘holiday season’ programs have been instructed to not include any icons or images in their pamphlets or concert programs that might be construed as religious symbols; for example, Christmas trees or dreidels.
- The holidays are rich with traditions, from exchanging gifts and spinning dreidels to more personalized rituals like sharing family recipes and lending a helping hand at local shelters.
- Sleigh bells are ringing, dreidels are spinning, and your two-week vacation is just around the corner.
1.1A gambling game played with a dreidel, especially at Hanukkah.
- We celebrate Hannukah by playing dreidel - gambling, basically - for gelt, which is coin-shaped chocolate.
- Foil-wrapped chocolate coins called Hanukkah Gelt are given as gifts and are also the prize in a children's game called dreidel.
- We'd go over to an aunt's house, play dreidel and then on each night of Hanukkah, there'd be all the presents in the living room.
Definition of dreidel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia