Definition of dress up in English:
1Dress in smart or formal clothes.
- I'm going at 2.30, which gives me much time to kill, and me all dressed up in smart clothes too.
- Indian women seem to have it easy when it comes to dressing up for formal functions and special occasions.
- Groups of girls dressed up in their best clothes and jewellery looked on approvingly at these displays of horsemanship.
dress smartly, dress formally, wear evening dress
informaldoll oneself up, put on one's glad rags, gussy oneself up
1.1Dress in a special costume for fun or as part of an entertainment: he dressed up as a gorilla
More example sentences
- At Halloween, the other kids would dress up in superhero costumes to go trick or treating.
- This was the only blip in the whole day which had seen many locals dressing up in period costume, strolling around in the Summer heat.
- Market traders and shop assistants add to the atmosphere by dressing up in period costumes.
disguise oneself, dress;
put on fancy dress, put on a costume
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.