- 1North American A chest of drawers.More example sentences
- It may be installed in a dresser or desk drawer or detached and mounted in a vehicle.
- There were two double beds, two bedside tables, and two dressers with six drawers each.
- When we were done, the bed was completely under the window, with a desk, dresser, and chest of drawers against the walls.
- 1.1A sideboard with shelves above for storing and displaying plates and kitchen utensils.More example sentences
- They kept a creamery book behind the plates on the top shelf of the dresser in the kitchen so that they could see at a glance how much milk they had delivered to their co-op.
- From here, a glass-panelled door connects to the large country style kitchen with its pine dresser and cupboards.
- Yeah, he climbs on the kitchen cabinets and dressers.
late Middle English (denoting a kitchen sideboard or table on which food was prepared): from Old French dresseur, from dresser 'prepare' (see dress).
- 1 [usually with adjective] A person who dresses in a specified way: a snappy dresserMore example sentences
- In London, it was a snappy dresser with a bowler hat.
- In fact, he's a snappy dresser, with a penchant for Paul Smith suits and shirts, so his slippers would probably be hand-embroidered velvet.
- Not only is she a brilliant writer, a snappy dresser, and a damn fine friend, she's also so right.
- 1.1A person who habitually dresses in a smart or elegant way: she’s gorgeous—and she’s a dresserMore example sentences
- Billy has the build, and he's a dresser just like my dad, very classy.
- He's a dresser, a ladies man.
- 2A person whose job is to look after theatrical costumes and help actors to dress.More example sentences
- They could get close to the acting scene by being dressers of the actors, but behind the scenes they learned the lines of the plays, waiting for the day the acting rules changed.
- Solo singing was augmented by the use of strap-on microphones, which posed a challenge to the dressers as actors were readied for their turns on the stage.
- What do you get when you cross a cross-dressing actor with a cross-acting dresser?
- 3A person who prepares, treats, or finishes a material or piece of equipment.More example sentences
- That was a claim by several steel dressers who were suffering from pneumoconiosis attributable to defective ventilation in a factory.
- Does anyone have any idea what steel dressers and steel moulders did in a steelworks?