Definition of drifter in English:
1A person who is continually moving from place to place, without any fixed home or job.
- Her songs are peopled with drifters, ramblers, old lovers.
- It's difficult for me to believe a transient, a drifter comes in off the street - the alarm doesn't go off, the dog doesn't bark, nobody screams, she goes back to get her shoes, leaves without a trace.
- These young drifters will wander in a spiritual wilderness for six, eight, ten, or twelve years and return to participate in faith life when they get married or have a child.
2A fishing boat equipped with a drift net.
- Other chapters in this informative book cover the drift-net; trawling in the west coast of Scotland lochs; the Scottish east coast fishers in the days of sail; steam drifters and more recent fishing methods.
- U-boats were attacked by aircraft, airships, Q-ships, mines, drifters, Naval vessels (including submarines) and merchant ships.
- He was rescued in turn by a trawler, a drifter and a British destroyer - twice employing his pigeons.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan