Definition of dripping in English:
1Fat that has melted and dripped from roasting meat, used in cooking.
- Mash the vegetables with the butter or dripping, add salt and pepper to taste and stir in the chives.
- I still carry around a hankering for bread and dripping, steamed pudding, and sweet macaroni, but I know they will do me no good, so I avoid them.
- Heat the butter or dripping in a frying pan, add the cakes and cook them gently for about five minutes on each side until golden and crisp.
1.1US Wax, fat, or other liquid produced from something by the effect of heat.
- Juice drippings from your food can pool in these materials and create flare-ups, which means you'll likely be eating charred dry things, not juicy grilled food.
- The mayor's inference, of course, was that Atkins was actually felled by his meat-heavy diet, that his arteries were clogged with beef drippings.
- Saute onion and celery in bacon drippings 3-5 minutes.
adjectiveBack to top
Extremely wet: [as submodifier]: dripping wet hair
More example sentences
- And by the time the show ended, we were all soaked and dripping wet.
- Yesterday I was sitting in a café, drinking coffee, and two young girls - just like we used to be - wandered in dripping wet from the rain.
- I took a very quick shower and got out in time to slip a towel around my body and dash, dripping wet, back into the kitchen to pull my food out of the fryer.
Words that rhyme with drippingchipping, clipping, snipping, whipping
Definition of dripping in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.