noun[often as modifier]
- A semiautomatic and normally computer-regulated system for controlling the engine, handling, suspension, and other functions of a motor vehicle. Also called steer-by-wire.More example sentences
- The drive-by-wire throttle system has two modes - normal for on-road use, augmented by a slowerresponding calibration for creeping off-road.
- ‘For safety reasons,’ he explains, ‘we have decided to follow a step-by-step procedure when it comes to drive-by-wire systems.’
- While news about drive-by-wire systems (also known as x-by-wire) continues to fill the industry journals, expectations have yet to meet reality.
More definitions of drive-by-wireDefinition of drive-by-wire in:
- The British & World English dictionary