- The alleged right of a medieval feudal lord to have sexual intercourse with a vassal’s bride on her wedding night.More example sentences
- The count plots to exercise his droit de seigneur, the right of titled men to deflower the brides of lesser folk.
- Regret about the abolition of droit de seigneur and the right of feudal overlords to flog peasants may be comic, but it is hardly an interesting political philosophy.
- This seems somewhat churlish: what is the point of having an knighthood if you can't exercise the ancient rights that this charming custom affords - such as droit de seigneur and queue-jumping in swanky restaurants.
French, literally 'lord's right'.
More definitions of droit de seigneurDefinition of droit de seigneur in:
- The British & World English dictionary