Definition of drosophila in English:
A small fruit fly, used extensively in genetic research because of its large chromosomes, numerous varieties, and rapid rate of reproduction.
- Genus Drosophila, family Drosophilidae: in particular D. melanogaster
- As early as the 1970s, population geneticists began to notice a peculiar characteristic among drosophila, the fast-breeding fruit fly on which most of our reproductive knowledge is based.
- While the smaller bacterial genomes can be tackled by direct sequencing, larger ones like that of drosophila or humans require the use of genetic markers.
- One of the most notorious examples, a module for control of eye formation that is common to drosophila, mice, and humans may stand as an emblem for laymen such as me, but it is a very small part of the story and may turn out to be atypical.
Words that rhyme with drosophilagrizzler • Polyfilla
Definition of drosophila in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan