Definition of drum major in English:
1A noncommissioned officer commanding the drummers of a regimental band.
- It seems she should still be out there in front of the band leading us onto the field as our drum major, not arranging a burial service for her son.
- Now that our drum major has decided to arrive, we can go out to the field.
- The drum major, in his tall black fur hat, face-to-face with Reagan, smartly saluted his departing commander in chief.
2The male leader of a marching band, who often twirls a baton.
- She's a genius, a man-hater and the head drum major for our state wide championship marching band.
- I served the organization as a section leader, drill assistant and ultimately as a drum major.
- However, the true highlight of the evening was when our drum major Sean asked our band director if he could conduct our field show when we were to play it in the stands at halftime.
Definition of drum major in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.