Definition of drupe in English:
A fleshy fruit with thin skin and a central stone containing the seed, e.g., a plum, cherry, almond, or olive.
- The fruit, a drupe with fleshy pulp and a high fat content, contains a glucoside which makes olives, especially unripe ones, very bitter.
- Fruiting plants are immediately recognizable by the unique bright blue color of their drupes, but sterile shrubs are very nondescript and easily overlooked.
- Hermit thrushes ate 14 pondberry fruits during six observation periods in 2000-2001, and 13 drupes during five observation periods in 2001-2002.
- Example sentences
- Similarities of these drupaceous fruits have been noted by Carlquist.
- A machine for the pitting of drupaceous fruits has an endless chain of articulated conveyor plates each provided with several vertical cylindrical bores whose flared mouths face upward.
Definition of drupe in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan