A fleshy fruit with thin skin and a central stone containing the seed, e.g., a plum, cherry, almond, or olive.
- The fruit, a drupe with fleshy pulp and a high fat content, contains a glucoside which makes olives, especially unripe ones, very bitter.
- Fruiting plants are immediately recognizable by the unique bright blue color of their drupes, but sterile shrubs are very nondescript and easily overlooked.
- Hermit thrushes ate 14 pondberry fruits during six observation periods in 2000-2001, and 13 drupes during five observation periods in 2001-2002.
- Example sentences
- Similarities of these drupaceous fruits have been noted by Carlquist.
- A machine for the pitting of drupaceous fruits has an endless chain of articulated conveyor plates each provided with several vertical cylindrical bores whose flared mouths face upward.
Mid 18th century: from Latin drupa 'overripe olive', from Greek druppa 'olive'.
Words that rhyme with drupebloop, cock-a-hoop, coop, croup, droop, dupe, goop, group, Guadeloupe, hoop, loop, poop, recoup, roup, scoop, sloop, snoop, soup, stoep, stoop, stoup, stupe, swoop, troop, troupe, whoop
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of drupe in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.