Definition of dubbin in English:
Prepared grease used for softening and waterproofing leather.
- The skin could have an oily substance like tallow (animal fat), egg yolk or dubbin, which is a mixture of fish oil and tallow.
- Treat your boots with leather oil or dubbin if you want to keep them supple.
- The animal fat was used both for cooking and to make tallow for lamps and dubbin.
verb (dubbins, dubbining, dubbined)[with object] Back to top
Apply dubbin to (leather).
- Perhaps they could play a board game or sing songs around a piano while mother gets the tin bath ready in front of the fire for bathtime while father smokes a pipe and dubbins his boots.
Early 19th century: alteration of dubbing, present participle of dub1 (sense 3).
Words that rhyme with dubbinReuben • dustbin • Jacobin
Definition of dubbin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.