Definition of ducks and drakes in English:
late 16th century: from the movement of the stone over the water.
play ducks and drakes with
- Trifle with; treat frivolously.Example sentences
- The oil companies are playing ducks and drakes with the Department and the Minister.
- If you find Junior playing ducks and drakes, keep your cool.
- Instead, a writer of fiction is usually the happier for his ignorance, and better for having played ducks and drakes with his cultural opportunities.
Definition of ducks and drakes in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan