A game of throwing flat stones so that they skim along the surface of water.
More example sentences
- I would be more concerned about how much longer they will have water to play ducks and drakes on.
late 16th century: from the movement of the stone over the water.
play ducks and drakes with
- Trifle with; treat frivolously.More example sentences
- The oil companies are playing ducks and drakes with the Department and the Minister.
- If you find Junior playing ducks and drakes, keep your cool.
- Instead, a writer of fiction is usually the happier for his ignorance, and better for having played ducks and drakes with his cultural opportunities.
More definitions of ducks and drakesDefinition of ducks and drakes in:
- The British & World English dictionary