Definition of dude in English:
- The Clutch dudes are totally cool and we're having a blast.
- Then, I turned to the cool dudes on the right to see how they were reacting, and nearly fell off my berth - it was them.
- Everybody knows the coolest dudes in the world have no money.
verb[no object] (dude up) Back to top
- He's 55 years old, the hair largely gray now, all duded up like a college professor, and he's backed by a huge American flag in this union hall in Ashland, Ohio.
- Either way, it's an excuse to get all duded up, and hang out with a bunch of folks I know.
- In one photograph he stands in his lambing camp, duded up in a white shirt, black vest, and tie.
late 19th century: probably from German dialect Dude 'fool'.
This slang term is probably from German dialect Dude ‘fool’. It appeared in New York at the beginning of 1883 for a man who was the equivalent of the English dandy, fastidious in his dress. At the same time the word was applied to a non-westerner or city-dweller spending his holidays on a ranch in the western USA, a ‘dude ranch’. In the 20th century it came to mean simply ‘a man, a guy’. See also cat
- Example sentences
- His need to hunt and gather has led him to amass more typically dudish things like Star Wars figures, useless and broken garage-sale finds, and, most recently, sounds of all kinds.
Words that rhyme with dudeallude, brood, collude, conclude, crude, delude, elude, étude, exclude, extrude, exude, feud, food, illude, include, intrude, Jude, lewd, mood, nude, obtrude, occlude, Oudh, preclude, protrude, prude, pseud, pultrude, rood, rude, seclude, shrewd, snood, transude, unglued, unsubdued, who'd, you'd
Definition of dude in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.