1A short bar with a weight at each end, used typically in pairs for exercise or muscle-building.
- Acupressure treatment aids such as balls, dumb-bells and small cubes made of wood, believed to help improve blood circulation, are on offer for prices ranging from Rs.20 onwards.
- For example, rather than a heavy barbell squat, just use light dumb-bells or a ball against the wall.
- All candidates will be following a special exercise programme, which involves using the rowing machine and stretching with dumb-bells.
1.1 [as modifier] Shaped like a dumbbell: a dumbbell molecule
More example sentences
- In the case of the large uranium nucleus it could even wobble into a dumb-bell shape, from which it might occasionally split into two distinct smaller nuclei of slightly unequal size.
- The cup-marked stone shown below, in the Sma’ Glen, near Crieff, Perthshire, Scotland, is situated in a large man-made concave-shaped amphitheatre in the hills, and has a prominent dumb-bell shaped cup-mark on its surface.
- Sometimes, dumb-bell or ring-shaped mitochondria occur but with no evidence of associated membrane degeneration.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of dumbbell in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.