Definition of dungarees in English:
1Blue jeans or overalls.
- The kid staggers away from me swaying dangerously, shrugging his dungarees off his shoulders and pulling the top off awkwardly, like he's not in control of his body.
- I enjoyed watching her work in her so-called summer dungarees, which were actually just old coveralls with the legs lopped off below the hip pockets.
- Walking in, he sported a red sleeveless shirt with khaki gym shorts, but now, he advertises a Texas football club on his torso, very little of anything on his head, and blue dungarees.
2 [in singular] (dungaree) North American Blue denim.
- The business grew and they got into men's ready-to-wear and, in the 1960s, added such stylish items as dungarees during the denim revolution.
- I think I may have worn a pair of the double-knee dungarees for six or seven hundred days straight.
- On this school day, Matt was wearing dungarees and a cute baseball cap, the hat perfectly shading his blue eyes.
late 17th century (in the sense 'cotton cloth from India'); from Hindi duṅgrī.
Definition of dungarees in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia