Definition of dungeon in English:
1A strong underground prison cell, especially in a castle.
- For the past seventeen years he has been kept prisoner in the castle dungeons.
- What goes on inside the CIA facilities, closer to medieval dungeons than modern prisons, can only be guessed at.
- She miraculously encountered the prison dungeon and entered to get some answers.
1.1(In fantasy role-playing games) a labyrinthine subterranean setting.
- Whether one is driving on a race track or righting fantasy creeps in pseudo-medieval dungeons, one always has to be on guard.
- The dungeon disappeared, many characters acquired new powers, and new restrictions on placement appeared, allowing cards to be combined.
- You may also distribute your loot this way in order to make sure you can take everything not bolted down from every dungeon in the game.
1.2 archaic term for donjon.
verb[with object] literary Back to top
Imprison (someone) in a dungeon.