Definition of dunlin in English:
noun (plural same or dunlins)
A migratory sandpiper with a down-curved bill and (in the breeding season) a reddish-brown back and black belly. It is the most common small wader of the northern hemisphere.
- Calidris alpina, family Scolopacidae
- You can see red knots, dunlins, and sandpipers as they rest and forage for food on the beaches, using the untouched island habitat as a safe haven during their journey south.
- Suddenly hundreds of lapwing, redshank and dunlin all took wing, rapidly climbing high above the flooded flats.
- In the long-term the scheme will provide ‘compensation’ for other areas where development means natural habitats are lost and they are hoping to attract species such as redshank, dunlin, curlew, golden plover and shelduck.
Words that rhyme with dunlinmullein • Dublin • muslin
Definition of dunlin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.