Definition of durmast oak in English:
A Eurasian oak tree with stalkless, egg-shaped acorns. Also called sessile oak.
- Quercus petraea, family Fagaceae
- Get through the few fields near the village and slowly enter into a wood of durmast oaks, turkey oaks and hornbeam.
- By contrast, the acorns of durmast oak are either stalkless or have very short stalks less than 0.3 cm. long, and it is this sessile feature which gives this species its common name.
- Turning to trees, you'll see holm oaks and durmast oaks, chestnut trees, beeches, the occasional poplar, and maritime pines.
Definition of durmast oak in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia