(also durum wheat)
A kind of hard wheat grown in arid regions, having bearded ears and yielding flour that is used to make pasta.
- Triticum durum, family Gramineae
More example sentences
- Pasta can be made from soft wheat, durum wheat, buckwheat, rice, soya beans and mung beans.
- It expects total production for its six major crops wheat, barley, durum, canola, flax and oats to reach 50 million tonnes this year, up from 43 million last year.
- It was caused by a pathogen that invaded the wheat grain, and also affected durum wheats and triticale.
early 20th century: from Latin, neuter of durus 'hard', used in the species name since 1798.
Definition of durum in:
- The British & World English dictionary