(also durum wheat)
Definition of durum in English:
A kind of hard wheat grown in arid regions, having bearded ears and yielding flour that is used to make pasta.
- Triticum durum, family Gramineae
- Pasta can be made from soft wheat, durum wheat, buckwheat, rice, soya beans and mung beans.
- It expects total production for its six major crops wheat, barley, durum, canola, flax and oats to reach 50 million tonnes this year, up from 43 million last year.
- It was caused by a pathogen that invaded the wheat grain, and also affected durum wheats and triticale.
early 20th century: from Latin, neuter of durus 'hard', used in the species name since 1798.
Definition of durum in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia