- (In hyperbolic use) very important, momentous, or traumatic: tell me this earth-shattering news of yoursMore example sentences
- The question does not have to be of earth-shattering importance, but it really does have to be of deep concern to the querist at the time the question is asked.
- I know this isn't exactly earth-shattering news but the news does bring back quite a flood of happy memories for me.
- It may not sound like earth-shattering news, but for those of us who love our cinemas as much as we do our movies, it is.
- More example sentences
- And when last did any leader do something so earth-shatteringly positive for the people of this country that they would sit up and take notice?
- While being nothing earth-shatteringly different, the formula has worked for them because they do what they do earnestly and well.
- Are our politicians so earth-shatteringly dull and similar that it doesn't matter who is elected?
More definitions of earth-shatteringDefinition of earth-shattering in:
- The British & World English dictionary