- 1A large artificial bank of soil, especially one made as a defense.More example sentences
- The earthworks of the Neolithic henge comprise a 2 m. high bank with a 2 m. deep ditch.
- By his time only some of the earthworks, and the outer defence that was part of the city wall, survived.
- It is not known whether there were similar earthworks around the southern settlements; archaeology has failed to find clear evidence of such.
More definitions of earthworkDefinition of earthwork in:
- The British & World English dictionary