Definition of earthworm in English:
A burrowing annelid worm that lives in the soil. Earthworms play an important role in aerating and draining the soil and in burying organic matter.
- Family Lumbricidae, class Oligochaeta: Lumbricus, Allolobophora, and other genera
- Centipedes are predatory, feeding on soil invertebrates such as earthworms and terrestrial insects.
- Soils may harbor 50 to 500 earthworms per square meter; they keep soils aerated, and their castings fertilize the soil.
- The burrowing activities of earthworms increase the soil horizons most conducive to worm health and growth rate.
Definition of earthworm in:
- British & World English dictionary