Definition of earthworm in English:
A burrowing annelid worm that lives in the soil. Earthworms play an important role in aerating and draining the soil and in burying organic matter.
- Family Lumbricidae, class Oligochaeta: Lumbricus, Allolobophora, and other genera
- Centipedes are predatory, feeding on soil invertebrates such as earthworms and terrestrial insects.
- Soils may harbor 50 to 500 earthworms per square meter; they keep soils aerated, and their castings fertilize the soil.
- The burrowing activities of earthworms increase the soil horizons most conducive to worm health and growth rate.
Definition of earthworm in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia