Definition of ecclesiastic in English:
A priest or member of the clergy.
- Frequently visited by princes and high ecclesiastics, the monastery soon became famous.
- A major problem is the lack of priests and other ecclesiastics, whose numbers declined drastically during the Soviet period.
- Ranking ecclesiastics took up the time of U.S. decision makers, badgering them about whether they had thought of this possible consequence or that.
adjectiveBack to top
another term for ecclesiastical.
- The artists here draw on a legacy that includes ecclesiastic art, church murals, icons and silver crosses to create works in a modern vernacular.
- The city's East Side, where Eastern European immigrants conceived grandiose works of ecclesiastic architecture before moving to neighboring suburbs like West Seneca and Cheektowaga, is inhabited largely by African Americans.
- But reports such as these were relatively few, and serious ecclesiastic authorities sought to distance themselves from such improbable tales of celestial intervention in the election campaign.